First off, I must say motherhood is a beautiful experience. There is a sure sense of pride that goes along with caring for and nurturing a child. However, can one argue that either of those tactics be done in excess? Can you really care for or nurture your children too much?
Just a couple of months ago I was blessed to give birth to my second child, Ayden. He is a sweet baby, and I try my best to be a great mother to him in spite of the lack of sleep I have learned to live without. However, my husband said something to me today that slightly pricked my nerve. He said, "Ayden is spoiled." Now, correct me if I am wrong. I don't think any mother wants to hear that said about her children, no matter who is saying it.
I will admit at times, Ayden can have a difficult time staying asleep. During these times, he, of courses, cries for someone to pick him up from his bed. There are times when he needs a changing or to be fed, and there are times when he does not. As he continues to cry, I and my husband try to eliminate as many reasons for his distress as possible. When we have come to no legitimate reason and he yet continues to cry, we relieve him from his misery and pick him up. Most of the time, Ayden will then stop crying. Could he be manipulating us at so young an age? Possibly. However, How am I to know when a cry requires less attention than another cry? I am not sure I will ever know the answer to that question. What I will do is continue to nurture my children as I see fit. If I am being manipulated by my son at 2 mos. old, who cares. I'm a better mother for it.


This entry was posted on 5:37 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: